Skip to main content

Twas the Night Before My Appointment




Twas The Night Before My Appointment…

Twas the night before my appointment,

While lying in bed

Visions of sharp things

Run through my head

Needles and scrapers

And drills galore,

My living nightmare

Need I say more?

It’s a dental appointment

Creating this fright

Walking through the door

Takes all of my might

This appointment was put

In my calendar with care

6 months goes so fast

The alert says “BEWARE”

I’ve been obsessing and stressing

For over a week

My flossing and brushing

She will critique

The noise gives me chills,

The bleeding makes me faint.

When it hits the nerve,

That’s my biggest complaint

Desensitizing toothpaste

They say that will work

Flossing and fluoride

I shouldn’t shirk

It’s too late now

I’m already here

I DON’T LIKE THIS!

Let me be clear

I’m met with a smile

As she calls my name

There’s no going back

We walk in twain.

“How are you?” she asks

If she only knew

I’m clammy, I’m weak

It feels like the flu

Her hand on my shoulder

The tears they do come

This fear I have

I can’t overcome

“You’re not alone!…

No need to feel dumb

We can give laughing gas

Even make you numb!”

“We’re here to help you

Make you proud of your smile

Avoid gum disease

Help keep your teeth for awhile!”

The chair it goes back

I hear such a clatter

What is that noise?

Is something the matter?

“It’s just the instruments

Not the kind you can play

But they make your teeth white

And bad breath go away!”

Put on some headphones

Or watch the T.V.

It’s now time to polish

We’ll be done in a jiffy!

The nitrous did calm

The distractions were nice

Sports or news, even ELLEN!

Worth the price!!

My teeth, they feel clean!

In fact, smooth as ice!

This appointment wasn’t bad

It was actually nice!

They gave me a bag

Full of goodies for home care

“Let’s schedule your 6 months”

With a wink…”if you dare!”

Not only do I dare

I can not wait!

Meeting all of you

Must have been fate!

Full of Holiday spirit

As I drove out of sight

THANK YOU TO ALL

FOR A SMILE SO BRIGHT!

Happy Holidays From our Family to Yours!
















By Julia Guerra, RDH, BA

Comments

  1. This is great news for our entire region by the announcement of a new Dental School slated for the Paul L.Foster TT medical school.El Paso someday will have it's own MD Anderson style huge medical complex dentistry school rankings

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HPV and Oral Cancer

HPV or the Human Papillomavirus is the most common sexually transmitted infection today. The CDC reports that “80% of Americans will have HPV infections in their lifetime with 99% of the infections clearing without consequence.”  With over 100+ strains of the virus identified, approximately 40 types have been most identified with genital infections and two, HPV16 andHPV18, more known to be responsible for causing cancer, more specifically of the cervix, mouth, and throat.

Most types of HPV infections are fought by the body’s immune system, and most people do not know they have been infected. There is no cure for HPV, but generally, the virus runs its course and is out of the immune system within two years (oralcancerfoundation.org). Some strains, however, are suspected of lying dormant in the body and then spread to other partner’s years later, unbeknown to the carrier. HPV is spread through skin to skin contact. There is no pain or symptoms associated with the infection, but it can …

Cold Sores: A Hot Topic

Anyone who has suffered from a cold sore knows the first sign of onset is as deflating and disappointing as your favorite team losing the Super Bowl or as embarrassing as being turned down for a first date. In fact, anyone who has suffered knows that a first date will likely cause an eruption in the first place!  It is certain that for nearly the next two weeks you will be uncomfortable and frustrated by what you feel is an unsightly growth that will capture the attention of everyone for whom you meet.  For some, this occurs a few times a year but for others, it can be a monthly eruption that brings anxiety, self-consciousness, pain and an altered lifestyle until the sore heals.

A cold sore or fever blister is a viral infection caused the herpes simplex virus (HSV 1) and is, therefore, an incurable viral infection that can only be managed during outbreaks.  The herpes virus, once contracted, lays dormant in nerve bundles called ganglions until an outbreak occurs. The virus is contagi…